Wednesday, August 18, 2004

Morning Pages

I was a little intrigued to see that Norman Geras had a post entitled 'Nightmare on Charlotte Street'. My paranoia was unjustified - turns out its a rather amusing and exasperated review of one of those restaurants that sets itself up as an arbiter of cool/ social distinction. Coincidentally, I am familiar with the eatery in question and the glorified bouncer who guards the door, paid his pittance per hour to stand and signify 'exclusivity'. Rather than being crestfallen by his transformation into a signifier, he mistakes himself for an emanation of the thing signified. Perhaps I'll point this out to him.

I read (here) that Wittgenstein thought the old English expression 'it takes all sorts to make a world' a 'kind and goodly phrase'. And so it is. It would be churlish of me to cite this by way of qualification.

Elsewhere the Young Hegelian has some brief reflections on the invasion of public space by corporate propaganda and related matters.