Wednesday, September 08, 2004

Jungle Book

I'm not sure I can be bothered posting anything substantial today. But here's a true story from someone I know who works in Waterstone's. He reports the following telephone enquiry:

A rather well-spoken elderly gentleman rang up for a book recommended by his nephew. My friend checked Waterstone’s database with no luck
“I’m afraid its not one we stock, sir”
“Does that mean it’s not in print?”
“Hang on; I’ll check the catalogue of books in print. […] No,. I’m sorry, its not in print, not in this country, anyway.”
“Oh dear, what a terrible shame”
“Could it be an American book?”
“Actually yes, my nephew does live in America, so yes, perhaps it is. Could you look that up for me”
The bookseller, not having ready access to an American database advised that the man might try Amazon.
“Don’t be absurd! Don’t be utterly absurd” replied the voice down the phone. The bookseller, a little taken aback, assured him that, on the contrary, Amazon would probably be the best place to go if he wanted to get hold of an American publication. The reply was even more emphatic – and scandalised - than before:
“Young man, are you being deliberately obtuse and provocative?” Perplexed, the bookseller attempted to explain himself a little more clearly..
“Amazon co.uk can get books from America over the internet relatively quickly, certainly quicker than going through us.”
“Oh, you’re talking about some sort of internet site?”
“Er, yes”
“Oh, I see, I see. I’m terribly sorry, you must forgive me. I thought you were suggesting that I should go to the Amazon to get the book.”

No comments: